Wednesday, May 2, 2012

In another time.

So...here we are again...a little late :)...I will make an excuse or two this time.  You may know that I am currently finishing a bachelor's degree and this has been finals week for me...in addition to working fulltime (actually a little overtime right now due to a coworker out on sick leave)...and of course planning/packing/preparing for my big trip abroad (I just love how that sounds :) :) )!!
So please forgive me.  I will be on track better once I return from my trip of a lifetime.  Can you tell I'm excited?? I leave in a week.  I am overwhelmed with the nearness of my departure.  It feels like I have been waiting for this for years!! And in truth I kind of have, as I have talked about going to London since I was a small child.  For whatever reason it has always held an enormous appeal to me. 

On that note, I want to mention what has been inspiring me of late.  I have a new obsession with a show called Downton Abbey.  It is a Masterpiece Theater program meaning it airs on PBS.  Who would have thought?? I actually purchased the first season on ITunes and am now on Season 2.  Unfortunately I will be waiting until next year for Season 3 to air here in the US. 

The show spins an enthralling tale of wealthy English family and their lives and also that of the house staff.  It is an eye opening experience to see how far we have come in a mere 100 years.  Truly.  Especially as a woman.  A woman not of the upper class.  I feel very grateful to have come along when I did, where I did, with the parents that I had.  I am inspired by the women before me who have made my life possible.  I am inspired by the men that stood beside them during this battle. 

I hope this post doesn't come off as cheesy but I really do often think of how different my life could have been.  If I had been born a hundred years ago or in another country where women don't hold a place in society the same as that of men.  While there are still things that need to progress in the world of equality, I have to say we have come a long way.  Hundreds of thousands of miles kind of long way.  And that inspires me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment